Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Embarkation

I used to be a Catholic, a good practicing Catholic. But as I grew up, I started to question things - their beliefs, their rituals, and their actions. Most of them didn't make sense to me at all. And so I became agnostic.

I am a scholar. My country paid for my tuition and I have achieved numerous academic awards that helped me grab a superb job.
I am an athlete
. I was the men's team captain for fencing and have achieved numerous medals. I also workout and chiseled myself with a set of 6 pack abs.
I am a leader
. I was in the student council as a representative for computer science and have done projects that benefited the students, the school, and the community.

I was proud. I was confident. I was sad.

Sad because I did not know what will happen when I die. Everything I have accomplished means nothing. In my sadness, I remembered God. And after 7 years of being agnostic, I prayed again. I prayed for an answer. And then I met Kristine.



Kristine is my colleague from Procter & Gamble. We were both new hires and we both came from the same school, University of the Philippines Diliman. I was attracted to Kristine. Not just because of her beauty and brains, but also because she was emotionally and spiritually strong and she always looks happy. I asked her out
not for a date for a chat. She told me she is a Christian. A Christian with a personal relationship with God. And I found out that she gets her strength from God.

I told her about my faith, but she told me that God for me was just a concept. I was baffled, she was right. I believed that there is a God, but I didn't know Him. It then struck me. I want to have a personal relationship with God. I asked for Kristine's help.

After a few days, I started going to their worship service at CCF. She told me though that Christianity is not just about going to the service, it's about your relationship with God. It is a long journey and I will understand along the way. I could imagine her saying, "Have a wonderful journey," as she gave me a Bible and a devotional book. Her eyes were a bit teary, but I can tell she is very happy. Happy because I chose the path to Jesus.

18 comments:

aj said...

welcome to the blogging world. :)

keep it coming!

ajb{log}
http://www.allanjosephbatac.com/blog/

Geo said...

Hi AJ, thanks for visiting my site and for the encouragement. Hope you'll learn a thing or two from this blog.

Anonymous said...

Astiiiiiiiig! So cool of you to put your testimony as your first post. And the way you wrote it was AWESOME. Gripping. Kala ko nung simula talagang agnostic ka hanggang ngayon, at mag-ra-rant kung gano ka walang kwenta ang buhay para sa yo. Hindi pala! Great testimony, girl. Really encouraging. ^_^

Geo said...

@sarah - wow, that means a lot to me. Thanks. I'm glad you find it encouraging. :)

Btw, I'm a boy.. not a girl. lol

Anonymous said...

Great testimonial! I also go to CCF, ortigas branch. But then, I'm waivering in my faith. I'm slowly turning into an atheist. May you continue to grow in your faith!

Anonymous said...

wow - - i am impressed!! grabe, na-touch ako.. write more please...

Geo said...

@skye: I also go to CCF Ortigas. Want to go to the service together? It's sad to know you're slowly losing your faith. Hope I can help.

@chuvachienes: haha thanks. glad to know I touched even in a simple way.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring. Good luck on your journey towards salvation!

totomai said...

welcome to blogger lol

anyways, its always amazing to see that someone touched your life. it may be from a stranger or whoever, the important thing is it made an impact to you.

anyway, breadcrumbstrail is kind of familiar to me. lol. hansel and gretel? i used these words in one of my poems before.

ingat sa toronto

Geo said...

@totomai - haha thanks, but just an fyi, I've been in blogger long time ago, I just hid my old blogs. :P

And yes, people come and touch our lives. I call those people, God's blessings. :D

Trail of breadcrumbs did come from Hansel and Gretel. :) That's why I also have the 'crows' in my description. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Geo!
That's really great that you are having the faith! Thanks a lot to Kristine.. May you find peace and happiness, and a wonderful relationship with God.. I am really happy for you. ^-^

Geo said...

@cai and louis- thanks :) I'll pray for you two lovebirds and hope you both have a relationship with Jesus as well. :)

Sarah said...

Lols! Ngayon ko lang na-connect na ikaw na si Geo na nag-co-comment sa blog ko ay yung may-ari pala nitong Trail of Breadcrumbs. Wahehehe. Sorry sa "girl". Dahil ata dun sa pcture ni Kristine. ^^

Geo said...

@sarah - just now? Ow man.. hehe :)

Ida Ingrid said...

Hi Geomar!

ngayn ko lang napuntahan ang blog mo... I'm so glad to hear of your salvation story, really.. =) Welcome to the family! na-remind tuloy akong ipagpray ang iba pang mga Curians... May you keep the faith and not tire of seeking to know Christ more. Praise God for you. :)

Geo said...

@ida - Ida!!! It's been a long time! So glad to hear from you. :) I'll link you up in my blog.

Yeah, let's pray for the other curians. :) Btw, I'm sorry if I was a naughty kid back in highschool. Hehehe

Byron Lim said...

Hello Geo!

Long time no hear since PLDT days!

I'm glad that you've found yourself a light in the Bible. Actually kami ni Miss Cathy Christians. So far yun lang natatandaan ko. hehe.

visit my blog sometimes.

http://smileby.blogspot.com
http://thinkby.blogspot.com

Can't wait to hear from you!
I'll link you up din!

Geo said...

Byron! Long time no hear! :) Sure I'll add your blog to mine.

Thanks for dropping by! I miss the student campers, and Ms. Cathy!