Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Money

I have a problem with money. No matter what I do, money just won't stay with me for a long time. I do earn more than enough for a single person, it's just that there are a lot of things that I need to spend on.

Ok, I do admit I am also quite a spender most of the time, but you have to pamper yourself once in a while, yeah? That's why it is also difficult for me to use my own money for something that wouldn't benefit me directly. Like for example, I paid for my mom and dad's dentures, I bought my sister quite an expensive gift on her 18th birthday. But I guess these are still a bit easy to give out since they are family. It was just recently that I lent money to someone who I never talked to for years.

A high school classmate called me one morning. She never contacted me since we graduated, except when I meet her in reunions, but that's just it. So she called and asked if she could borrow a huge sum of money. She said she's having a baby this month and they expected the baby to come on March, so the money they loaned will also come on March. However, the excited baby wants to go out this February, so they don't have money. And she called me to borrow some money.

Being myself, I would not normally lend money. I would have said, why did you do it and get pregnant if both of you aren't financially ready? I would have said, I don't think you can pay for it. But I just put off everything I was thinking and just help out since we're talking about life here. Amazingly, my classmate now texts me regularly and updates me on how she is doing and how the baby is doing. I just pray that the baby will come out healthy and both of them to be safe.

What I learned is that money is not really important here in this world. It's the relatedness and friendship you build that makes us alive and human.

2 comments:

daryl said...

inneed money isn't important wat we all need is a life lived the way we want it to be. nice post here

Geo said...

thanks daryl :) I hope you are living your life the way you want it! That's so amazing :)